Citizenship and Naturalization Lawyer in Coral Gables

Once a person obtains a green card the next step in achieving their goals is obtaining United States Citizenship or going through the Naturalization process. There may also be instances where a person is already a United States Citizen, although born abroad due to their parents’ status at the time of their birth. It is important to obtain proper legal counsel in order to discuss options before applying for Naturalization.

A Naturalization application is generally the final time USCIS has to scrutinize you before allowing you to stay in the United States permanently. The laws regarding US Citizenship as well as the applications themselves are very intricate and can often be confusing for someone who is not familiar with them.

If you are ready to take the next step and become a US Citizen contact Dominguez Law Firm, PLLC today to schedule a consultation and determine how we can help.

Frequently Asked Questions

When can I apply for Naturalization?

Generally, one is eligible to apply for Naturalization after being a Legal Permanent Resident of the United States for five (5) years. If the person is married to a United States Citizen and has resided with the United States Citizen for three (3) years as a Legal Permanent Resident they may be able to apply after three (3) years.

What do I need to know for the exam?

The Naturalization Exam requires a knowledge of United States History and Civics as well as English. An applicant will be asked to answer 10 history questions as well as to read and write 3 sentences in English. USCIS provides materials to study for the exam and there are also private classes. There are certain instances where a person may be eligible to take the exam in their native language or waive the exam if they meet specific requirements.

What if I travel frequently?

There is both a residency and physical presence requirement to apply for Naturalization. Generally a person must have been physically present in the United States for over 2 ½ years of the 5 years prior to applying. They must also be able to demonstrate that they reside permanently in the United States. Frequent trips or trips of over six months may cause an assumption of non-residency. It is important to consult with an Immigration Attorney to evaluate your eligibility for Naturalization if you travel frequently.

Start Your Journey With Us

If you or a loved one needs assistance with an Immigration matter contact us today or schedule a consultation online to determine how we can help you.

"*" indicates required fields