If you are a United States Citizen or Legal Permanent Resident or the spouse, parent or child of one there may options to obtain lawful status in the United States for your family members or yourself. This process generally involves the filing of a family petition and then depending on the circumstances an application for adjustment of status or consular process. Under certain circumstances a waiver may be required. For United States Citizens considering marriage to their significant other a fiancé petition may also be an option.

If you or your family member are considering a family petition it is important obtain legal counsel. The options for obtaining lawful status through a family petition may vary based on individual circumstances and it is important to be aware of one’s options before beginning the process.

If you are considering a family petition, contact Dominguez Law Firm, PLLC today for a consultation in order to discuss your options and how we can help.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who may I petition for as a United States Citizen or Legal Permanent Resident?

United States Citizens may generally petition for their spouse, parent, child, or sibling. Legal Permanent Residents may generally petition for their spouse, minor child under 21, and unmarried adult child over 21. A US Citizen or Legal Permanent resident may also petition for a step-child/parent or adopted child/parent under certain circumstances.

How long will the process take?

The time the family-based process will take varies widely and depends on various factors. For example, if a waiver is required the case will take longer. Petitions filed by Legal Permanent Residents will also take longer as well as petitions filed for adult children versus those filed for minor children.

Will I be interviewed?

Generally there will be an interview for someone to obtain Legal Permanent Resident Status- either at the consulate abroad or at a USCIS office in the United States. It is important to be prepared for the interview and ensure you have the proper documentation. An experienced Immigration Attorney will be able to assist with this.

Start Your Journey With Us

If you or a loved one needs assistance with an Immigration matter contact us today or schedule a consultation online to determine how we can help you.

"*" indicates required fields